What is Ultrasonic Phased Array?
Phased Array technology is the ability to modify electronically the acoustic probe characteristics. Probe modifications are performed by introducing time shifts in the signals sent to and received from individual elements of an array probe. Any Ultrasonic techniques for flaw detection and sizing can be applied using Phased-Array probes.
Phased Array provides high speed electronic scanning without moving parts, improved inspection capabilities through software control of beam characteristics, inspection with multiple angles with a single electronically controlled probe, many configurations; P/E, T/R, TOFD and Tandem, and greater flexibility for inspection of complex geometries (optimized focusing and optimised beam angle).
Phased Array can be used for the following applications; raw material production, aircraft, naval, power generation, petrochemical and anything else that currently applies pulse-echo testing.
What are the responsibilities of a individual who is certified to Ultrasonic Phased Array Level 3?
An individual certified to Level 3 has demonstrated:
- The competence to evaluate and interpret results in terms of existing standards, codes, and specifications;
- Sufficient practical knowledge of applicable materials, fabrication, process, and product technology to select NDT methods, establish NDT techniques, and assist in establishing acceptance criteria where none are otherwise available;
- A general familiarity with other NDT methods
Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate, Level 3 personnel may be authorised to:
- Assume full responsibility for a test facility or examination centre and staff;
- Establish, review for editorial and technical correctness and validate NDT instructions and procedures;
- Interpret codes, standards, specifications and procedures;
- Designate the particular test methods, techniques and procedures to be used;
- Within the scope and limitations of any certification held, carry out all tasks at all levels;
- Provide guidance for NDT personnel at all Levels.
Level 3 certificated personnel may be authorised to carry out, manage and supervise PCN qualification examinations on behalf of the British Institute of NDT.
Where Level 3 duties require the individual to apply routine NDT by a method or methods within a particular product or industry sector, the British Institute of NDT strongly recommends that industry demand that this person should hold and maintain Level 2 certification in the applicable method(s) and sector(s).
The range and scope of PCN certification available at each level is defined in the relevant appendix to these general requirements.