Advanced Radiation Safety Certification (ARS) to Radiation Protection Supervisor Level
Formerly known as Radiation Protection to Supervisor Standard (RPS), the Advanced Radiation Safety (ARS) Level 2 for RPS course has been introduced to allow an employer to make a judgement when appointing persons to the role of Radiation Protection Supervisor (RPS).
The course will provide candidates with the knowledge and skills for appointment as an RPS under Regulation 18 of the Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 Approved Code of Practice guidance document for work with ionising radiation. Candidates will be able to assess dose, carry out hazard assessments, implement contingency plans and emergency procedures, arrange for the provision of dosemeters and keeping dose records.
What is the role of a Radiation Protection Supervisor?
A Radiation Protection Supervisor (RPS) is a person appointed by an employer to ensure that any work carried out with ionising radiation is compliant with regulations. The RPS should take all reasonable steps to ensure that relevant local rules are observed.
At the working level the RPS has direct responsibility to the employer for ensuring that:
- The work with ionising radiations is carried out in accordance with the requirements of the IRR2017, and the local rules are observed.
- To achieve the above the RPS will be required to:
- Liaise with both management and the RPA
- Supervise the radiological protection aspects of the work, and
- Recognise the need to seek further advice in certain situations.